Mahanati is a 2018 Indian bilingual biographical drama film written and directed by Nag Ashwin and produced by Priyanka Dutt under the banners Vyjayanthi Movies and Swapna Cinema. Filmed simultaneously in Telugu and Tamil, with the latter titled Nadigaiyar Thilagam , the film is based on the life of Indian actress Savitri, which was played by Keerthy Suresh, while Dulquer Salmaan, in his Telugu debut, plays the role of Gemini Ganesan.
- The film was a critical and commercial success, with praise for the performance of Keerthy as Savitri.
- The film was showcased in the Indian Panorama Mainstream section at the 49th International Film Festival of India, and was also screened at the Shanghai International Film Festival.
- It has also garnered the “Equality in Cinema Award” at the 2018 Indian Film Festival of Melbourne.
- At the 66th National Film Awards 2019, the film won three awards, including Best Feature Film in Telugu, Best Actress for Keerthy and Outstanding Costume Design.
- Keerthy won the Best Actress award at several nominations including the Filmfare Awards South and SIIMA Awards, while she was nominated for Norway Tamil Film Festival Awards and Edison Awards. However, she won the Special Jury Award at Norway Tamil Film Festival Awards.
Yesterday, Rajeev Masand made a zoom conversation with the crew and cast of “Mahanati” movie which includes the director Nag Ashwin, Cinematographer Dani Sanchez Lopez, the movie leading actors Keerthy Suresh and Dulquer Salmaan along with producers Swapna Dutt and Priyanka Dutt.